Luminosity masking. What is it and is it worth it to figure this out for your photography? We cover this and so much more in this edition of Latitude Photography Podcast, Episode 138 for December 19, 2021
Listen where you want:
Thanks SO MUCH for being here 🙂 I really do appreciate it!
Greg offers the Lumenzia extension and some great deep-dive courses to help you learn everything there is to know about using the software. These are affiliate links and I appreciate all the support you provide by using these links.
Lumenzia and Exposure Blending Master Course: https://getdpd.com/cart/hoplink/21529?referrer=3zlus6bybwqosokkk&p=165704
Lumenzia and Dodging and Burning Master Course: https://getdpd.com/cart/hoplink/21529?referrer=3zlus6bybwqosokkk&p=182276
Lumenzia and Both Courses: https://getdpd.com/cart/hoplink/21529?referrer=3zlus6bybwqosokkk&p=182277
Palouse Shoot-n-Print Workshop
The price is increasing 18% for Latitude Photography School on Jan 2, 2022. Sign up today to lock in current prices.
Year-End Challenge: Go through your 2021 images and select 10–20 that represent your best efforts of the year. Submit them to the fb group for the show so we can see what you’ve been up to and so that we can also cheer you on.
I’d also love some brief commentary. Tell us how you’ve GROWN over the last year. That would be amazing. Or tell us your challenges and tell us how you plan to grow this year. Use the Hashtag #TopImages2021
LUMINOSITY MASKING for beginners
- My take on Luminosity Masking
- Started about three years ago, just dabbled
- Opinions on post-production work
- What happened this quarter
- Background knowledge needed before tackling Luminosity Masking
- PS layers
- PS selections
- PS masking
- PS save/load selection
- Anything else
- Understanding the idea of a Luminosity Mask and the logistics
- Simple to use, difficult to understand sometimes
- When to use a Luminosity Mask, what to look for in your scene
- Exposure Blending
- Dodging and Burning
- Techniques when shooting multiple frames
- Techniques when using one frame
- Starting the work in PS
- What to do in Lr or other raw editor
- Transitioning to PS
- Assessing the work. How to stack the layers, which order.
- Diving into the Lumenzia Panel
- D, M and L buttons
- (a) and so on buttons, 0-10 buttons, but as this is a starter type discussion, don’t plan to dive too deeply here.
- Apply section
- Sel button
- Mask button
- Two more of your most used options in this section of the panel
- Deciding on the selection and applying it to your photo
- Thoughts behind what to look for in the selection preview
- Modifying the selection defaults (adjusting the orange adjustment layers before hitting the “sel” button
- Painting in with the selection, brush settings etc.
- Applying more than one luminosity selection?
- Selecting different luminance values for adjusting different areas of the photo.
- Best to adjust on the same layer, or to make additional layers?
- Making a separate Dodge-Burn Layer (fill layer 50% with Overlay layer blend mode, apply adjustments to the layer using dodge/burn tools rather than regular brush (or can still use black or white brush too)
Resources and Links
Join the notifications list to stay in the know about all the things happening here on the podcast, on my website and workshops I’m planning. I plan to send you an update every 6–8 weeks and I’ll include brief stories behind the images and as always, lessons learned while making them. https://brentbergherm.com/notifications/
Shop at lensrentals.com with my affiliate link and I’ll get a small commission of the sale: https://www.pntrs.com/t/TUJGRktHSkJGTk1KSEpCRkpOSkVN
I also have an affiliate link with ThinkTank Photo http://bit.ly/2IMRhOT
Peak Design affiliate link https://bit.ly/3CEpsBp
Find me on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/brentberghermphoto/
Find the podcast facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/latitudephotographypodcast/
You’ll have to answer a question, who’s the host of the show. Your answer is me. Brent. I’ll also accept the name of any recent guests.
Find me on instagram @brentbergherm https://www.instagram.com/brentbergherm/
Find me on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/c/brentberghermphotography
Find me online at https://brentbergherm.com