Happy New Year! I hope you’re off to a great start for this new year. Today I’m talking with Rick Sammon about his latest book. This is Latitude Photography Podcast, Episode 139 for January 2, 2022
Listen where you want:
Come explore and connect your creative process dots at the Palouse Shoot-n-Print Workshop
Grab a copy of Rick’s book for yourself!
Rick Sammon joins me once again.. Rick, Welcome to the show!
This is Rick’s 6th appearance on Latitude Photography Podcast, and we’ll have him on once more in the next episode talking about a very special destination, and an awesome experience to participate in with himself and Ian Plant.
- Starting right off
- Each photographer and their interests vary, not everything mentioned today will apply to all people, nor should it.
- There’s a lot more in the book than we’ll be able to talk about today, plus, I’ve added some of my own thoughts to take us off on a few tangents. These are generally thoughts I had while reading the book.
- Some of the questions and comments I have are unique to my situation, listeners are invited to chime in using the fb group with your own questions or points.
- You’ve never met three of the book’s contributors
- Do not make enemies
- Ego is the enemy – A GREAT BOOK by this title
- Strong ego = you believe in yourself
- Big ego = the bad part of ego
- Basic Premise(s)
- Work hard during the day
- Don’t put all your eggs in one basket
- A Photographer’s Website
- Treat everyone like they’re at a local deli
- Blog on a regular basis
- About what’s in your heart
- Give stuff away for free
- Advertising on social networks?
- Promotional posts vs informational/helpful posts (1:4 ratio)
- Tagging friends
- Networking-all in this together attitude vs. ???
- Blending personal and professional interests on social networks
- Passive income streams
- Affiliate programs
- “Buy me a coffee”
- Other alternatives, calling it a “tip jar” or simply “donate” etc
- Thoughts on a platform such as patreon or BMC vs handling it on your own site
- Content production
- Starting a facebook group
- Aren’t there a TON of groups already out there?
- How to manage a group, the proper attitude to take
- Establishing goals and purposes
- Writing a book
- Easy to say/suggest, how hard is it to “do”
- Steps that may lead up to a book one day
- PDF eBook
- Any tips for topics we can develop that will make a good PDF book vs. a regular book idea? Or should we not differentiate too much?
- https://expertphotography.com search for The Big List of Free Photography Ebooks. https://expertphotography.com/free-photography-ebooks/
- Time commitment roughly 4 hours for a 1 hour show
- It’s not for everyone, who should start one?
- Recording a class
- Looking good: the glasses challenge, either remove them or…
- How to develop an idea
- Where to publish first. YouTube? Website? Other…
- Email newsletter
- Starting a facebook group
- Time commitment, work-life balance
- Exercise, your daily routine vs mine, thoughts on the value of exercise and staying active
- Selling Prints
- Deciding if you’ll print yourself or outsource
- Finding an audience
Resources and Links
Get yourself on the Globetrotter notifications list and be the first to know when it’s open and ready for you! https://brentbergherm.com/latitude-photo-school/globetrotter/
Join the general notifications list to stay in the know about all the things happening here on the podcast, on my website and workshops I’m planning. I plan to send you an update every 6–8 weeks and I’ll include brief stories behind the images and as always, lessons learned while making them. https://brentbergherm.com/notifications/
Shop at lensrentals.com with my affiliate link and I’ll get a small commission of the sale: https://www.pntrs.com/t/TUJGRktHSkJGTk1KSEpCRkpOSkVN
I also have an affiliate link with ThinkTank Photo http://bit.ly/2IMRhOT
Peak Design affiliate link https://bit.ly/3CEpsBp
Get yourself a copy of Lumenzia, the luminosity masking extension for Photoshop published by my friend Greg Benz. This is an affiliate link and I appreciate all the support you give by using these links. https://getdpd.com/cart/hoplink/21529?referrer=3zlus6bybwqosokkk&p=101487
New way to support the show. Donation page on the website. One dollar will send me one mile down the road. Thank you for your support!
Find me on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/brentberghermphoto/
Find the podcast facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/latitudephotographypodcast/
You’ll have to answer a question, who’s the host of the show. Your answer is me. Brent. I’ll also accept the name of any recent guests.
Find me on instagram @brentbergherm https://www.instagram.com/brentbergherm/
Find me on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/c/brentberghermphotography
Find me online at https://brentbergherm.com